Thursday, December 31, 2009

The First Line in Horror

The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.

Pretty good opening line for a book, huh? Well, I can't take any credit. It's the opening line in Stephen King's It - the one and only horror book in our bookcase. I'm fairly certain that my husband absconded with our neighbor's book about 22 years ago - a fair trade-off in his mind given the fact that the they broke his Montgomery Ward lawnmower.

Anyway, I told Michon that I knew little about writing horror and that some research would be required for me before I write the words, Chapter 1. As it turns out, reading the first paragraph of It is about the extent of my research. However, on the inside book jacket, there is a line that looks as though it should be featured prominently throughout a horror story ...

Or so they thought. Then.

No comments:

Post a Comment